I don’t know if you noticed a change to the chicken’s background in my photos. If you looked at their photos and went, “hold up. Why is there suddenly a garden behind those birds?!” Don’t worry, you’re not crazy (at least not about this), the chicken coop has moved. It was getting really muddy in its current location, and I’d also like to set up a grassy pasture for the chickens to go out in during the day. The pasture area will have to be finished next year, but we wanted to move the coop before the rains hit and softened the ground. As you can see by the dampness of the garden beds in the photo below we were sort of on schedule.
Under the concrete is a layer of tamped construction sand to set everything in place and keep it level. Like most concrete pavers the first two are perfectly, meticulously level and then it gets a little less perfect with each paver after.
Our neighbour noticed us setting the concrete and offered to help us move the coop, but we weren’t able to finished the concrete pad that weekend and everyone was gone the next so, like totally rational people, we just moved it ourselves. We didn’t want to chance the rain not stopping and saturating the ground, making it too boggy to roll the coop to its new location.
We were muddy, the coop was muddy, the ground was muddy. I had started giving the coop a quick scrub but gave up because it was an exercise in futility.
This is the second time we’ve moved it, by the way. The first time we moved it all the way around our house, and this time we moved it back halfway to where it first was.
I’m pretty sure I captured the exact moment where Jordon was questioning all his life choices that led up to this.
It’s okay though, because thanks to careful planning and consideration we moved the coop while the yard was still empty so it was an easy task and we had plenty of room to maneuver around.
At least we measured that space before trying to move the coop. Ten points to team schipalong. This is the only space the coop would actually fit through by the way.
The chickens weren’t inside the coop. I probably don’t need to say that, but there’s always that one person. They were in a temporary pen. Probably laughing at us.
After laying the coop down, shuffling it over, then standing it back up ever so carefully to ensure the concrete pavers wouldn’t shift we then wheel-barrowed and shoveled all the dirt back into the outdoor portion.
Then we went inside for coffee, and like a chorus of good omens (or a cruel twist of fate, depending on how you want to look at it), the moment we finished and went inside the rain cleared and the sun came out.
It was worth it though. Even Jordon agreed. Somehow the interior of the coop looks more specious while the exterior looks smaller, which makes the yard look larger.
Now the only things left to do are freshen the paint, finish the pasture, trim the windows, add some decorative elements…